Sales & Marketing Strategies for Engineers – Aligning Product Development to Customer Needs
Why You Should Attend This Course:
Many organisations have restructured to have cross-departmental teams. Engineers must now interact and support sales executives in the area of marketing & sales, from pricing and promotion to distribution and customer satisfaction. By acquiring the basic skills in sales & marketing, engineers will become more proficient at innovation and acquire a better understanding of needs and demands in the marketplace to improve the process of design and innovation.
This course has been designed to help engineers integrate their technical role with a sales and marketing role. They will be able to converse and support the marketing & sales executives during clients’ discussions and generate leads resulting in sales.
- Understand the fundamentals of Marketing Strategies & Matrix
- Simplify technical strategy to match to sales & marketing processes
- Identify new marketing imperatives – intelligence, interfaces & integration
- Gain a clear understanding of their role in supporting the sales and marketing of company’s products and services
- Use the sales processes of identifying, developing and managing accounts
- Structure a sales call and use all available skills to give a professional image and improve success
- Recognise and improve their handling of difficult customer situations
- Overcome objections and close successful sales
- Develop a close business relationship with clients
Role of Engineers in Sales & Marketing
- Icebreaker: The Impact of Integrating Technical role with Sales & Marketing role
- Sales & Marketing Opportunities for an engineer
- Service Situation
- Sales Presentation With A New Prospect
Understanding the Fundamentals of Marketing
- Differentiating marketing from sales
- The Basics of Marketing
- Marketing Planning – 3Cs and 4 Ps
- Marketing Services and Intangibles – special considerations
- Group Exercise: Who Markets and How
- BCG Growth-Share Matrix: Mapping Your Product Life cycle
- Ansoff Business Unit Strategy Model
- Managing product life cycle
- Hard vs. soft products and services
- Bowman Strategic Pricing Clock
- Group work: Mapping out our marketing strategy from a technical perspective
The World of Selling
- The Sales Cycle & Process: Perspective, Territory Management, Sales Calling & Closing
- Characteristics of an effective technical sales person
- Different models of selling: product vs. solution selling
Having a Positive Selling Attitude
- The Importance of PMA in selling
- What makes you negative
- How to develop a positive attitude
Prospecting Effectively During a Service Situation to Generate New Business
- The right prospecting approach during a service situation
- Value proposition vs. preventive measures
- Group work: Existing Customer Profile
- Creating strategy for suggesting an upgrade or cross-selling
Developing Effective Sales Communication
- Opening of Sales Conversation
- Questioning strategies & purpose to identify needs
- How to gain leverage and build confidence
- Talk about benefits not features
- Keeping the interest alive
- Finding a purpose to call back
Social Styles Influences Buying Behaviour
- Role of an Engineer during a New Account Sales Presentation
- Slide Presentation: Body Language (30mins)
- Understand the buying behaviour of your customer
- Understand different behaviours & expectation
- Listening for opportunities to support sales executives with technical solutions & information
Objections are Good
- How to minimise objections and propose creative technical solutions
- How to handle objections
- Workshop: Video Role-play with playback critic session
Sales Negotiation & Tactics
- What are your key decision criteria?
- Process of Making Decision/Decision-maker
- The negotiation process
- Pressure Tactics
- Tactics used in negotiation
Closing: When and How
- The Buying Milestones
- How to identify closing signals
- 7 powerful closing techniques that work
- Key Learning Points & Post-workshop Account Project
Tina McDowell has been a trainer and consultant for the past 23 years. She has helped hundreds of people realise their potential as employees for their organisations. By making her courses highly participative, she instils a certain flavour of excitement in participants to improve at their jobs. In 1997, she inspired a group of people in Union Carbide to win the Chairman’s award for winning behaviours, productivity and costs saving.
Her experience includes conducting presentation skills, selling skills, sales & negotiations for sales executives & procurement executives. She has worked with sales executives and engineers in Nokia, Schlumberger & Texas Instrument Philippines to analyse their sales strategies to enhance partnership and engagement with the customers.
- Fees are inclusive of course materials, certificate of participation, lunch & tea breaks.
- Corporate and Individual Members of MIS are entitled to 20% discount.
- Companies are entitled to 5% discount for sending 3 or more participants to the same course on the same date.
- All courses will be held at the Marketing Institute of Singapore, 410 North Bridge Road Singapore 188726 unless otherwise stated.
- SDF Training Grant (for SDF-Approved Courses)
- Marketing Institute of Singapore reserves the right to change or cancel the course due to unforeseen circumstances.
- Courses can be custom-designed to suit your department/organisation’s unique training requirements.
For any withdrawals or cancellation, participants will be subjected to the following charges:
- Notice Period Withdrawal / Cancellation Charge
- More than 14 days No charge
- Less than 14 days 25% of course fee
- Less than 3 working days or No-Show 100% of course fee
- Replacements from the same company are allowed.
Graduation and Degree
- Certificate of Completion- Sales & Marketing Strategies for Engineers, Aligning Product Development to Customer Needs