Diploma in Mass Communication
The SMF Diploma in Mass Communication is designed in collaboration with Singapore Media Academy (SMA), a wholly owned subsidiary of MediaCorp Group to provide students with a solid foundation in mass communication and business concepts, practices and skills. It further provides an introductory view of the world of media, by immersing students into TV, Radio and Print media production environments and introducing them to today’s leading-edge media creation skills. Students are also imparted with critical thinking skills to analyse articles, and strong writing and journalistic skills to produce their own articles for public consumption. Students will be trained in the basics of public relations, so as to manage corporate communications for their organisations. Finally, they can choose to culminate their learning experiences in a major mass communication project, exhibiting their new found skills and knowledge by addressing a mass communications issue of their choice.
Career Opportunities in Mass Communications
Graduates will be well-equipped for a career in communications & media related industries. This includes opportunities in:
- Public Relations (PR agency, corporate communications)
- Journalism (news writing, reporting & editing)
- Marketing Communications (advertising, media planning, copy-writing)
- Media (TV, Radio or print production & content creation)
- GN101 Academic Literacy
- BA102 Principles of Marketing
- MC101 Foundation of Mass Communication
- MC102 Principles of Public Relations
- MC103 Introduction to Journalism
- MA101 Introduction to the Narration & Audio-visual Script*
- MA102 Introduction to Radio & Sound*
- MA103 Photography & Digital Imaging*
- MA104 Media Content Creation*
*Classes will be held at Singapore Media Academy.
Upon completion of these units, students will be awarded a Certificate from Singapore Media Academy.
- Full GCE ‘A‘ level, OR
- ITE Higher Nitec, OR
- High School Qualification equivalent to Year Twelve (12) in the case of international students, OR
- SMF Institute Certificate in Foundation Studies
- combination of attendance, coursework and examination.
Graduation and Degree
- Diploma in Mass Communication, SMF Institute of Higher Learning, Singapore
Length of course