Bachelor of Science (Molecular Biology and Biotechnology), University of Western Australia
Molecular Biology is the basic science for study if you want to work in the new biotechnology industries.
It has important practical applications in everyday life, such as the use of genetically engineered organisms to produce new and better vaccines, insulin for the treatment of diabetes, growth hormone for the treatment of growth defects, antibiotics and anti-cancer drugs, as well as the production of more efficient and environmentally friendly agricultural systems.
Molecular biology holds the promise of improved livestock, development of disease-resistant and drought-resistant crops, and the easier diagnosis, and even curing, of genetic diseases in humans.
The programme requires the completion of 24 units (144 points) and consists of 17 core units (102 points), 1 optional unit (6 points) and 6 elective units (36 points) of unspecified advanced standing (credit). Polytechnic diploma and diploma holders will receive advanced standing (credit) for all elective units. Students may receive additional credit for core units depending on GPA.
|Unit Code||Unit Title||Pre-requisite|
|Human Biology I (Becoming Human), OR
Biological Inorganic and Physical Chemistry
|Nil.Background in chemistry|
|2||Core||SCIE1106||Molecular Biology of the Cell||Background in biology and chemistry|
|3||Core||CHEM1103||Biological Organic Chemistry||Background in chemistry|
|4||Core||GENE2204||Principles of Genetics||Level 1 Biology|
|5||Core||CHEM2210||Structure Determination & Physical Chemistry||CHEM1103 and CHEM1104|
|6||Core||BIOC2201||Biochemistry of the Cell||SCIE1106|
|8||Core||BIOC2202||Biochemical Regulation of Cell Function||SCIE1106|
|9||Core||CHEM2221||Biological & Medicinal Chemistry||CHEM2210|
|12||Core||CHEM3307||Metals in Biological Chemistry||CHEM2210|
|13||Core||GENE3331||Molecular Genetics & Genomics Part 1 (AC)||GENE2230|
|14||Core||GENE3332||Molecular Genetics & Genomics Part 2||GENE2230|
|15||Core||SCIE3326||Molecular Biology Part 1 (AC)||SCIE2225|
|16||Core||SCIE3327||Molecular Biology Part 2||SCIE2225|
|17||Core||BIOC3353||Molecular & Structural Biochemistry Part 1 (AC)||BIOC2201 and BIOC2202|
|18||Core||BIOC3354||Molecular & Structural Biochemistry Part 2||BIOC2201 and BIOC2202|
Delivery of programmes may not follow the sequence as shown and are subject to change.
Note: Elective units are not listed.
The programme can be completed within 2-4 years. For those with exemptions, this programme may be completed within a shorter period.
English Language Proficiency
Please note that all students must also meet the following minimum English proficiency requirements:
- C6 or better for GCE O-Level; OR
- 570 (paper-based total) and 230 (computer-based total) in TOEFL with Essay Rating/TWE of 4.5 or Internet-based Test (iBT): An overall score of 90 with a minimum score of 22 in the Writing section and no less than 20 in the other sections; OR
- 6.5 in IELTS with no band less than 6.0; OR
- Grade C for the Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English
- Grade E for GCE A-Level
An Honours degree is available to students who satisfy the entrance requirements. Interested students should apply via student connect at The University of Western Australia.
- Local Polytechnic Diploma with GPA ≥ 2.2; OR GCE A-Level and STPM (subject to the University’s admission guidelines);
- GCE A-Level Mathematics with minimum Grade E or equivalent is also a pre-requisite for entry to the Bachelor of Science programmes
- Classroom and Laboratory
- Laboratory assignments, projects and examinations
Graduation and Degree
- Bachelor of Science (Molecular Biology and Biotechnology)
Length of course