Bachelor of Commerce (Banking), Murdoch University, Perth, Western Australia
Traditionally, banks have recruited new staff directly from schools. Today, they are recruiting more graduates from tertiary institutions. In banking units, the student is exposed to the issue of information asymmetry that exists between the borrower and the lender and the need to design contracts that reveal and monitor the quality of the borrower.
The units also consider the nature and legal implications of the banker-customer relationship. The high debt that financial institutions have in their capital structure, the interest sensitivity of their assets and the liquidity that depositors demand result in unique interest, credit and liquidity risk management issues. These issues are further complicated by government regulation and directives.
Students have the options to do a second major in the following areas.
- Human Resource Management
- Hospitality & Tourism Management
- Business Information Systems
- Cyber Forensics, Information Security and Management
- Public Relations
- Communication and Media Studies
Structure & Content
- BUS206 Finance Law
- BUS224 Corporate Finance *
- BUS244 Treasury Management
- BUS290 International Financial Markets and Institutions
- BUS326 Commercial banking
- BUS337 Credit and Lending Decisions
Plus 6 other elective units (Students may select any unit from other majors, subject to fulfilling the necessary pre-requisites). *100% taught by Murdoch Business School academic staff members
- SMF Diploma
- Polytechnic Diploma or equivalent*
- Other non-relevant diploma / advance diploma will be considered on a case-by-case basis*
- All applicants will be required to provide satisfactory evidence of their competency in English subjected to the University’s approval
- * Applicants may be admitted to the second year of the BCom programme but are required to undertake additional units in order to achieve full advanced standing. The final decision rests with Murdoch University
- Written assignments and examination.
Graduation and Degree
- Bachelor of Commerce (Banking), Murdoch University, Perth, Western Australia